My son wants to be famous and/or rich. Don’t know where it comes from. Not really his parents’ aspirations. Although blogging does throw me out there to connect with you, but from the privacy of my home. He takes pride in the fact that his name appeared in an article in the Washingtonian when we were interviewed during the inauguration of President Obama. He was 6 months old and it was brutally cold – had he not become “famous” like he wants to be, I would have questioned that parenting choice.
He did work really hard to sketch 17 logo ideas for me (I was thinking of going with My Brazilian Roots at the time). I was amazed by his endless creativity, but I explained that I am not hiring yet. For now, he agreed to sharing them in this post free of charge, in exchange for me posting a recipe for butter beer. I say only fair.
We are having 3 Harry Potter fans for a sleepover at our house this Saturday and the weather has turned cold again, perfect for warm butter beer sipping, in the unlikely event of boredom. During our experiments Mateus’ first impression was that it is best to drink it immediately. Julia… she just thinks whatever her brother thinks at this age. Can you tell by her expression?
HARRY POTTER’S BUTTER BEER (from Foxnews.com Food & Drink):
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 4 (12 ounce) bottles cream soda
- Combine brown sugar and water in a small saucepan; bring to a gentle boil and cook stirring often until it reads 240F on a candy thermometer.
- Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 cup of heavy cream; set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Once it is cool, stir in the extract if using it.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the sugar mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream in a medium bowl; beat with an electric mixer 2 or 3 minutes until just thickened but not completely whipped.
- To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup each). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, stirring to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with the additional soda. Spoon whipped topping over each.
3 thoughts on “harry potter’s butter beer + logos”
I think I got it from myself (about how I want to “be rich”)? By the way, the butterbeer was great! – Mateus
Mari,your kids are wonderful, and Mateus’s drawings are so beautiful. All my love, straight from Brazil.
Thank you, Valéria. Your love and support are essential in my life, even over 4,000 miles away.